UTAH RURAL ENERGY DIVERSIFICATION AND INNOVATION
What is U-REDI?
U-REDI is about revitalizing the energy industry in Eastern Utah and building a stronger, more diversified economic base for the region.
- Advance low-carbon energy technologies through research.
- Support commercialization of new energy technologies to diversify regional economy.
- Create jobs, based on energy knowledge and skills, for the region's residents.
- Build infrastructure to enable advanced energy technologies and products to be manufactured and commercialized.
- Diversify the region's economy by supporting growth in the manufacturing sector.
- Provide space to incubate small business entrepreneurship in manufacturing.
- Increase number of startup businesses in the region.
- Support small business success and development.
- Provide community services to undeserved populations and those with barriers to success.
- Provide high paying opportunities that align with traditional energy skillsets.
- Diversify the skilled energy workforce.
- Foster opportunities for economic growth.
San Rafael Energy Research Center
The SRERC will play a key role in harnessing advanced energy technologies to create future job opportunities and economic diversity while continuing to support the energy needs of Utah and the Western United States.
Aviation Technician Campus
Located at the Carbon County Airport, the Aviation Technician Campus will house an extension of Utah State University's Aircraft Maintenance Technician program through USU Eastern. This workforce training supports high-paying careers and will expand economic opportunities locally.
Electric Vehicle Maintenance Technician Training
Based on a train-the-trainer model, this program will support High School and College Automotive programs in successfully implementing EV maintenance curriculum and will provide electric vehicles for students to practice on.
Smart Manufacturing Innovation Center
Co-located with the SRERC, the Center will be a hub for commercializing products made from energy waste and non-fuel uses for coal. The center will headquarter an operation center focused on identifying, installing, and maintaining advanced automation projects at manufacturing sites throughout the region.
Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Support Center
The EESC will remove barriers to success for entrepreneurs, small business owners, and underserved populations in the region by streamlining connections between the housing, transportation, community and human service programs, and economic development planning services.